Today is my birthday. I am 47, three years shy of the big 50! We all want to stay young, including me, but there is a blessing to growing old. Proverbs 16:31 says, “Gray hair is a crown of glory.” I don’t have much gray hair, but the truth is still relevant. Growing old has it’s benefits. Here are 6:
- Wisdom. The older you are, the more situations you have faced, making it easier to navigate decisions, obstacles, etc.
- Perspective. You understand that life is not about what kind of clothes you wear, what you drive, or how much money you make. Life is about relationships with friends and family, and of course the most important relationship of all, the one with God.
- Appreciation. You appreciate the little things in life like the laughter of a child, a hot cup of coffee, a peaceful walk in the park, or better yet, going to bed early!
- Serving others. You see the benefit of passing on knowledge and life skills to others. Life is so much bigger than yourself. It is about preparing and helping the next generations to come.
- Confidence. I am way more comfortable in my skin, if you will, than I was twenty years ago, even five years ago. Aging helps you realize that its ok to be you. Some people will like you, that’s great. Some people will not like you, that’s ok, too. Life is not about blending in, but rather living the life God has for you, being who God has created you to be. There’s only one you, be that one!
- Glory. Every day you age is one step closer to eternity. I am one day closer to being at the feet of Jesus. People say that problems, etc. is better than the alternative (death). No, it’s not. The best thing that could ever happen to a Christian is to leave this world behind and enter eternity. Hebrews 11:16, “Instead, they were longing for a better country—a heavenly one. Therefore God is not ashamed to be called their God, for he has prepared a city for them.”