Have you ever made a bad decision? Who hasn’t! Even great people of God make bad decisions. Joshua, for instance, made a bad decision, making a peace agreement with the enemy. He failed to turn to God. We often do the same. Here are 7 Steps to Making Good Decisions.
- Get all the facts. Luke 14:28, “For which one of you, when he wants to build a tower, does not first sit down and calculate the cost to see if he has enough to complete it?”
- Take some time. Don’t get in a hurry about it, if you can help it. I always tell people, “Let me sleep on it.”
- Pray about it. You are inviting God into the situation. You are surrendering to Him as well. Ask about that specific situation. Ask God for wisdom too, not just for that decision, but all of life, see James 1:5.
- Read the Bible. Psalm 119:105, “Thy word is a lamp unto my feet and a light unto my path.” What does the Bible say about the matter? Either directly or indirectly.
- Get wise counsel. Talk to godly people you trust, who can give you good insight on the matter. Proverbs 11:14, “But in abundance of counselors there is victory.”
- Do what Honors God. 1 Corinthians 10:31, “Whatever you do, whether you eat or drink, do all to the glory of God.”
- Consider how it will affect others. Your family. Friends. Church. Nonbelievers.
You may not use every step when buying groceries, but I encourage you to think through these questions when faced with decisions. It will help you seek God and be wise.