I know how to work
I have been working most of my life. When I do work, I give it my all. What I struggle with is not working.
It’s easier for me to work than rest
After work, I go home and work on the house. On a day off, after resting for an hour or two, I need something to do. While on vacation it takes several days just to unwind. Is it just me, or are you like this, too?
8 Reasons we don’t Rest
- Something always needs to be done
- We feel useless or guilty when we aren’t productive
- Our identity/sense of self-worth is wrongly connected to productivity
- Our minds are never silent or still
- The adrenaline factory is running 24/7
- Busyness distracts from the problems of life, so rest intimidates us
- Maybe we don’t realize the importance of rest
- Maybe we don’t know how to rest
So, how do we rest?
I am still learning how to rest, but this is what I have observed:
- If your job drains you physically, rest by doing something mental.
- If your job drains you mentally, rest by doing something physical.
I find rest in exercise, writing, music, and being with my family. Whatever gives you rest, don’t feel guilty.
We need to rest. We aren’t robots!
Matthew 11:28, “Come unto me, all ye that labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest.”