We need to go to work, exercise, take care of our family.
Life is about responsibilities. We must take care of ourselves and others. It isn’t always easy.
What if we don’t feel like it today?
We don’t feel like lifting weights. We don’t feel like taking our dog for our walk or cooking supper. But, we need to.
How do we get ourselves to do it? Some not-ideal options:
- Don’t do it at all, it just creates more problems and work for the next day
- Guilt ourselves into doing it, this just brings more misery
- Wait till the last minute, this only makes it harder to complete
This is the best thing to do:
- Remember why it’s important – it’s important for me to exercise today because…
- See the benefits of the activity – I don’t feel like it, but I when I do it, this positive result will occur…
- Commit to just a few minutes of the activity – if it’s exercise instead of saying, “I must run for 30 minutes today,” say instead, “I will run for 10 minutes today.” The commitment is less intimidating. Chances are, you will wind up running the 30 minutes anyway. It’s all about taking the first step.
What do you have to do today?
1. Remember why you need to do this
2. See how it adds to benefit to your life
3. Take the first step and go from there
Colossians 3:23, “Whatever you do, work heartily, as for the Lord and not for men.”